From the familiar creaks in the floorboards to your favorite easy chair, there's no place like a warm, cozy home in the dead of winter.
But let's face it: Being stuck inside for days due to cold weather can make you stir-crazy. If you find yourself feeling bored and restless, you may be experiencing cabin fever.
What is Cabin Fever?
Cabin fever can dampen your mood, energy level and motivation during the brutally cold winter months. Not sure if it's happening to you? Here are some signs:
- You feel cooped up and restless.
- You have difficulty concentrating on what’s in front of you.
- You feel lethargic or simply unmotivated to do anything.
- You feel irritated and on edge for no apparent reason.
If you can relate to any of those signs... you’re probably dealing with cabin fever. But before you take up permanent residence on your couch or start to sleep out of sheer boredom, we have good news. Check out this list of fresh ideas to help you (and the whole family) beat cabin fever, once and for all.
How to Beat Cabin Fever
- Break out a good book. For helpful suggestions and reviews, check out a website like goodreads.com.
- Start a new hobby. A few ideas include knitting, stained glass, Soduku and fiction writing.
- Try a new recipe. The possibilities are endless on Pinterest.
- Start scrapbooking.
- Do a puzzle. It’s a little old-school, but still fun.
- Pull out some old board games or a pack of cards.
- Engage in some pre-spring cleaning. You’ll have more time to enjoy the great outdoors once it thaws out!
- Rearrange your furniture. Sometimes a few moves is all it takes to make your place look new.
- Tackle a home improvement project. Now is the perfect time to create that gallery wall, install new kitchen finishes or even paint an accent wall in your bedroom. (Plus, cracking a window for even five minutes can help air our your house and improve air quality.)
- Plan your summer vacation. Thoughts of warmer days spent outdoors are nice to have during winter.
- Have a movie and popcorn night. Dig out an old favorite or stream or rent something new.
- Research your family history and create a family tree.
- Write a letter to touch base with an old friend or family member. Everyone loves getting an actual letter that’s not a bill or solicitation.
- Watch the newest season of your favorite show on your favorite streaming platform.
- Go for a walk, even a 15-minute one.
- Make a snowman or a snow fort.
- Go out and shovel. It’s a great workout!
- Try an outdoor winter activity like sledding or snowshoeing.
- Have a snowball fight. Spoiler alert: You don’t have to be a kid to indulge in this one.
- Volunteer your time at a local nonprofit or animal shelter. Animals need attention during this time, too.
- Comb through your local paper’s entertainment section. Do something you’ve never done before.
Year-round Coverage for Your Cabin
Spring will be here before you know it! Whether you're cozying up inside or adventuring in the snow, you deserve the freedom and peace of mind that comes from knowing your home is protected with homeowners insurance you can trust.
ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance Company, Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Erie Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York). The companies within the Erie Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Refer to the company licensure and states of operation information.
The insurance products and rates, if applicable, described in this blog are in effect as of July 2022 and may be changed at any time.
Insurance products are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions not described in this blog. The policy contains the specific details of the coverages, terms, conditions and exclusions.
The insurance products and services described in this blog are not offered in all states. ERIE life insurance and annuity products are not available in New York. ERIE Medicare supplement products are not available in the District of Columbia or New York. ERIE long term care products are not available in the District of Columbia and New York.
Eligibility will be determined at the time of application based upon applicable underwriting guidelines and rules in effect at that time.
Your ERIE agent can offer you practical guidance and answer questions you may have before you buy.